As you read about the people who lived in Çatalhöyük and Jericho, you may have wished that you knew more about what they thought and did and what stories they told each other before going to bed at night. Sadly, we will never know, because when those ancient towns were built writing had not yet been invented. People did not have any way to record their thoughts and stories for people many hundreds or thousands of years later to read.I know that I have a tendency to over-estimate how much you can convey to young students, so I hope that my attempt to talk about how cuneiform and heiroglyphics differed from the Pheonecian alphabet doesn't sail over kids heads...
Still, although we are glad that the ancients invented writing because it allows us to read the stories and histories that they wrote down, that is not what writing seems to have been invented for. Most of the earliest pieces of writing we have found are not stories, they are tax records.
In the growing cities of Mesopotamia and Egypt (which we will read about in a few more chapters) kings and their servants needed to keep track of who owed them grain and livestock and money. Perhaps writing began with the king's servants drawing little pictures to help them remember who had given the king how much of what, and how much was still owed. However it happened, many of the baked clay tablets that archeologists have dug up in the cities of ancient Mesopotamia are lists which simply record things like, "Two hundred baskets of wheat, three hundred baskets of barley, forty cattle, twenty camels, one hundred goats," and so on. [more...]
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Life, Death and Taxes
Maybe it's just the mid-April timeframe, but I found this a humorous way to open up the "invention of writing" story in the Elementary Program:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"I know that I have a tendency to over-estimate how much you can convey to young students, so I hope that my attempt to talk about how cuneiform and heiroglyphics differed from the Pheonecian alphabet doesn't sail over kids heads..."
Yeah, I wondered about that as I was reading it. (BTW, I did some very minor editing.) But on the whole, I'm glad you wrote it as you did. I think it's the parent's job to decide whether their kids are up to reading this stuff on their own. If it seems a little too complex for a particular kid, that's the time when the parent should be reading it aloud and explaining it. Many was the time I did that, even adding paraphrasing asides as we read.
Maybe there should be a tips and comments page where suggestions like this could be put. Anyway, this is another opportunity to emphasize the importance of reading aloud even with older children. Not only does it develop listening skills, but it encourages discussion and build a family culture of shared information.
Post a Comment