Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Iceman Cometh

Well, here go my creative writing skills getting their first workout in a while. I just posted a draft of the Ötzi the Iceman story. I did a bunch of reading about him over the last few weeks, so I had all the research, but I hope I managed to come up with a retelling of a possible version of his final hours that will be interesting:
Perhaps he was traveling north over the mountains two friends from his village when they were attacked by raiders from another tribe. One of Ötzi's friends was killed by the attackers' arrows, and Ötzi himself was wounded when he was shot in the back. He fought off one of the attackers with his knife, wounding the enemy tribesman. But Ötzi was hurt again too, his enemy's knife but Ötzi's thumb nearly down to the bone.

At last Ötzi and his surviving companion, also wounded, were alone. Ötzi pulled the two arrows that had killed his friend out of his body, and put the broken arrows into his quiver. Later he would fasten those arrowheads onto new arrows when he was finished making his bow, and perhaps he could avenge his friend's death. Then he and his remaining companion buried their friend under a small pile of stones....

Read the tragic conclusion...

No comments: