Friday, March 16, 2007

Approach for Vol.s 3-4 of Elementary Program

Thinking about it, I think the approach should be to have poetry and prose selections and recommendations as well as art a music recommendations for relevant periods. So for instance, the section on the British Empire might include The Charge of the Light Brigade and a selection or two from Kipling, and then recommend a number of other works related to that period.

The section on the French Revolution might include a selection or two of primary source material, and recommend Beethoven's music, various pieces of art, and fiction and non-fiction by various other authors.

The section on the American Revolution might include The Ride of Paul Revere, and include reference to age appropriate historical fiction, and primary source material.

Does that sound like it would keep the same overall balance and atmosphere as the earlier sections that would include both ancient history and pagan mythology?

3 comments:

rose said...

I think including poetry is a fabulous idea--one of the highlights of the Calvert program was its extensive use of poetry and memorization.

I also think that with a bit of research, we could find more historical figures in those periods to keep it more story-oriented. For instance, glancing at that list, I notice that there's no Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, or Anne Frank. And I'm sure there are a lot more people we could dig up if we put our minds to it.

Darwin said...

Yeah, this initial pass consisted of me sitting down with the WikiPedia timeline for each century at 3:30am when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep...

I guess we need to get a feel for length, too. I'm thinking we could fit around 100 topics for each volume. Each topic could be 1-3 pages, and the idea could be to read 2-3 topics per week (it would only be a 5-15 minute read) and then read other supplementary material to round it out.

PS, aren't you supposed to be in Morocco?

Darwin said...

I dumped the lists we've got so far into a spreadsheet to see how much we had, and it looks like the totals are as follows:

Before Christ: 63
33AD-1300: 37
1300-1776: 47
1776 to present: 71

So there's lots more room, if we figure roughly 100 items per book, and we especially need them in the middle two.